We have made the transition from solely utilizing Facebook to sign in to the standard email + password combination with the option to later connect your Facebook or LinkedIn account.
Why we only had Facebook sign in
When we started RidePost, it made sense from a social verification perspective to require all of our members to sign in via Facebook in order to provide as much transparency as we could for other members’ safety concerns.
Why the change?
There are numerous reasons we made the change. Here are a few of the significant ones:
- Trust. Some people are not comfortable with a Facebook-only sign in system, so we wanted to be able to provide other social verifications to our fellow RidePosters.
- Technical. A bug in Facebook’s platform recently took RidePost offline for five and a half hours one day, making it impossible for anybody to sign in to RidePost. This was a wake-up call that we should manage our own authentication and not depend on a 3rd party.
RidePost now offers the freedom to sign in with any valid email address you like, with the ability to connect either a Facebook or LinkedIn account (more options to come later!) for social verification. On that note, in order to preserve our members’ security and an even playing field when booking trips, we do require RidePosters connect one of these services prior to booking rides.
How to Sign In Now (important!)
Given we are now using an email + password sign in system, that obviously means you’ll need a password (which you did not need when previously signing in with Facebook). So the next time you come to RidePost,
- click “Sign in”
- on the following page, click “Create New Password“
- enter your email address where you receive your RidePost notifications
- go to your email address and confirm that it is really your email address
- enjoy RidePost!